Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thank you, Decca Aitkenhead


While reading an article online, a sentence from the journalist really stood out to me. “I do, however, recognise that what I like to think of as my opinions are really emotional prejudices” (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jul/05/clay-shirky-internet-television-newspapers). My mind immediately thought of a particular friend that I know.


While it is without a doubt that we are all humans and are governed and ruled by both our logic and emotions, it is really interesting how each and everyone one of us are ruled in different degrees by these two paradigms.

 
Being too logical can be interpreted as having no emotions and of almost being like a robot. Yet, being too emotional and losing the balance of logic plays havoc in a world where boundaries are set for the auto synchronisation of people for society to operate smoothly to a certain degree.

 
The two words ‘emotional prejudices’ got me thinking about how many of us are doing that without realising. Some are reasonably justified through personal experiences and unique events while are the rest just pluck out of thin air? I believe that all emotions have a trigger and it is just a process of understanding what that trigger is.

 
Reading all the books in the world, seeing the world or even attending millions of talks will not help if one does not have the ability to then extract and analyse, starting with the most important one of all; self – analyse and understanding yourself. I find it is incredibly wonderful that this journalist was able to self-analyse and admit that yes, some opinions are emotional prejudices. It takes more out of a man/woman to be able to do that and shows character.

 
Thank you, Decca Aitkenhead.

No comments: