Saturday, February 16, 2008

The long journey home

It took me nearly 6 hours to return from Bourke to Sydney. 3 planes and 3 airports can take its toll on you. I was quite hungry by the time I got home.

Was getting quite used to life in Bourke but one thing that I will not miss will be the insect and bug bites. I am covered from head to toe in them in various parts of my body. Sigh~

Did a bit of the tourist thing while I was there. It's amazing to visit the town that was the centre of all the agriculture and cotton trading in the early 18th century where the only mode of transport was via the Darling River. I was lucky enough to be shown around by an agronomist at one of the farms that the client owns.

We were driven around to see the first lock and weir in Bourke as well as parts of the Darling river. Apparently, when the Darling river was all dried up a year ago, you could even see carcasses of large fishes. Hmmm.....



When we got to check out the water storage for one of the farms, the view was simply breathtaking! It was HUGE!! You could fit at least 20 olympic size swimming pools in just 1 water storage. When it's full, it can last the farm around 18 months. Look at the pic! No, It's not the beach, it's actualy a water reservoir.
Good news, I am extremely happy for the farmers. We got out to take pictures and the wind was really strong, you could see waves.



This was one of the smaller farms owned by the client and it was already extremely large. Just 1 field was 5 times the size of my manager's family farm in England. Yikes! These are corn crops. Apparently, each corn plant only produces 1 corn cob!


No comments: